If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (508) 946-2397

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Space Heaters: To Use or Not To Use? - Lakeville 02347

10/29/2020 (Permalink)

As New Englanders, we know that this time of year brings cooler temperatures in the evenings and people may begin to rely on space heaters to stay warm and cozy.  

According to the National Fire Protection Association, space heaters cause 43 percent of home heating fires each year, which are the leading cause of fire-related deaths.  

Space heaters that use propane, kerosene, and natural gas also pose an additional risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Electric heaters can be a safer choice for indoor use, however, can still pose a risk of fire if operated near flammable materials like curtains, bedding, or furniture.  

If you do choose to use a space heater, please remember the following to reduce the risk to you and your family.  

  • Never leave space heaters unattended
  • Gas & kerosene heaters should be used outdoors
  • Keep children away from heaters
  • Never place a heater on top of furniture or where it may fall 
  • Do not overload circuits - use a three-prong plug or powerstrip cord with a surge protector
  • Keep heaters away from flammable items
  • Be sure you have smoke & carbon monoxide detectors in your home and check the batteries monthly 

We at SERVPRO of Marion / Middleborough want you and your family to be warm and safe this winter. If you have any questions about the safety of a heater, please ask a professional prior to use. Although we don't wish disaster on anyone, always remember that our crews are professionally trained to deal with the effects of fire damage. Stay warm, but not too warm!

Other News

View Recent Posts