How to Be Storm Ready - Mattapoisett 02739
Here are a few suggestions on how to prep your home to effectively prevail against snowstorms, freezing rain, and chilly winds:
- Provide quality insulation for your home – make sure that the roof and the walls are in good order. You may install storm windows and provide additional layers of insulation anywhere possible.
- Install smoke alarms and ensure proper ventilation– take precautions since fire hazards increase drastically when flames are burning in fireplaces and the power systems are overburdened by heaters.
- Keep pipes from freezing – wrap pipes to provide some protection and let faucets drip a little as another preventative on really frigid days.
- Ensure proper drainage– have downspouts and basins clear of debris and maintain the plumbing system in perfect condition so that the water from the melting ice and snow can easily find its way out and away from your property.
- Trim bushes and trees – if you have a yard, make sure no branches spread dangerously near the house.
Clear snow away–remove snow and ice from the roof to prevent collapsing and clear accrued snow away from the foundations of the house to lower the risk of flooding.