Space Heater Safety for Home & Office!
When in need of additional warmth many people use a portable heater or space heater. While they provide extra heat space heaters are an alternate source of heat and aren't intended to be a primary heating source. Space heaters are responsible for 1/3 of home heat fires and 80% of home heat deaths. Be mindful of the safety tips below when using a portable heater or space heater not only at home but also in cold offices. As any heating element can catch fire, follow the safety tips below to ensure you/your family's safety.
- Never leave children or pets unattended near the heating element
- Keep 3' clearance from any flammable products (furniture,curtains,bedding, clothing)
- Always place heater on a stable surface ( to avoid tipping )
- Never use extension cords
- Always shut heater off when not in use
- Do Not leave on when going to bed or leaving the home
- Plug directly into a wall outlet never use a power strip
- Never pull by the cord to unplug (Unplug by the adapter)
- Be sure the cord isn't hot to touch, check for split wires
- Be sure to have a smoke alarm
In the event a fire occurs We're here to help! Contact your local SERVPRO of Marion/Middleborough!