The Time to Prepare for a Disaster is Now!
In recent years many forms of disasters have affected the U.S. Whether it's flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, blizzards, etc. are all natural disasters that can threaten your home or business.
Storms can have a devastating effect on the entire community. SERVPRO Dartmouth/New Bedford & Marion/Middleboro wants to help you and your family be prepared for an unexpected situation.
The time to prepare for a disaster is now
Here are a few things to take into consideration while preparing an emergency kit. More often than not, during severe weather & storm conditions many businesses and households tend to lose power. Due to heavy winds and the nature of our power line system here in the Northeast; our power seems to be the first thing to go. Forcing us to resort to non-perishable food items and conserving our fresh bottled water.
- It is recommended to keep at least a 3 day supply (for each member of your household, including pets) of both non-perishable food and bottled water readily available.
- A battery operated radio is also an important item to keep available to keep up to date on any storm condition warnings or evacuations of your area.
- Flashlights and plenty of batteries only (candles can be quite dangerous especially during windy conditions and dim lighting).
- First aid kits, extra clothing, dust masks and duct tape are also important.
- Keeping a wrench or pliers handy to shut off any utilities if necessary is probably a good idea as well.
With a little preparation you can make weathering a storm a little more comfortable and more importantly, safe. Be sure to always follow any safety and/or evacuation protocols issued by your state and/or county.