Preparing your Home for Cold Weather - Lakeville, MA 02347
Don't Get Caught in the Cold
We’ve turned back the clocks.
Caught up on our favorite TV shows.
…And Thanksgiving is just a week away.
Yep, winter is officially on its way in New England!
When it comes to winterizing your home, it may feel like just one more chore on top of the already dozen piled onto your to-do list. Still, winterizing is a crucial part in preparing your home for the frigid temps that can roll in off of the coast and cause thousands in property damage.
To help simplify this process, we’ve created a home weatherproofing checklist – because let’s face it, you’re already under enough stress from the holidays! Here you’ll find ways to ensure your home is ready before the season’s first snow fall, and require little to no handiness:
- Clean gutters & downspouts in mid-fall then double check them before winter
- Close any vents in your home that may have been opened for the warm weather
- Drain & disconnect hoses from outside faucets and turn off the water supply
- Buy snow shovels, salt and other winter supplies before the bad weather hits
- Caulk or apply weather stripping around draft areas
- Have your chimney cleaned before firing it up
- Run fans in reverse
- Replace the filter in your furnace
- Turn down your water heater
- Test that your sump pump is working properly
If any unwanted surprises do happen to occur this holiday season (and we’re not talking about the in-laws staying for Christmas) you can count on our 24/7/365 emergency response team to take control of the situation so you can take back your life (sorry, still not talking about the in-laws) and make things “Like it never even happened.”