Heat Waves Freaking You Out?
The summer months are the best months to enjoy the beautiful sunshine and warm weather. As we enjoy doing our favorite activities during this wave of heat, we are increasing the use of our Air conditioning systems, sprinkler systems, pools and good old fashioned cool showers or tubby time for the kids to cool down a bit. Anything to have fun but stay cool. Even outside garden hoses!
Along with this may come pipe bursts, ac line leaks, water tank leaks, sink, toilet and shower leaks, washing machine, refrigerator and overflowing sinks or tub. Maybe even a Jacuzzi overflow if you’re lucky enough to have one. Simply leaving the kitchen faucet running while cooking or running a bath for the kids and it overflows into the basement and causes squishy soggy carpets. That’s a disaster itself for mold. It can happen because we’re doing a hundred things at the same time. Let’s face it at times we’re all just wiped out by the heat! Don’t the heat get you down! Should a water disaster strike whatever the cause may be? Call the pros - Call SERVPRO! We’re only a hop, skip and jump away! We can save the day and ease your hassles from the damage that the unexpected has caused.
Let’s not forget the havoc Mother Nature may drop on us any time. Torrential rains and storms can cause unexpected high ground water tables, flooded basements, overwhelmed sump pumps and even those old cracks we don't pay attention to in the foundation can cause leakage and wet areas we just don’t expect. Act fast! Here’s some things you can do before calling the professionals.
- Shut off the water source
- wet vac as much water as possible
- Never run cords or electricity through standing water EVER
- Mop or soak if possible
Be prepared for the unexpected and if a disaster should occur rest assured the crews at SERVPRO of Marion / Middleborough are the pros for disaster clean up, restoration, and reconstruction with 24/7 Emergency Service!
Sewage Problems? Call SERVPRO!
In the event of heavy rain, water and debris can easily enter sewers which can cause overloads. Along with water, sewage can back up into your home. When this type of backup happens, these sewage flood waters are extremely hazardous to you and your family. It’s important to handle these backups carefully. Make sure to notify the city or town you live in if your home is connected to a public sewer.
If the flooding is due to city water, it’s likely that the water will begin to recede when the rain stops. However, your basement will need to be cleaned and sanitized. Handling this type of back up yourself is risky and requires extensive personal protective equipment, such as gloves, boots and face masks.
The technicians at SERVPRO of Marion/Middleborough are specially trained and fully equipped to handle this type of clean up. Sewer backups should be considered an emergency, as the water can contain viruses, bacteria and other microbes that can cause serious illness to you or your family.
We can help you dispose of items that are impacted by the water, clean the floors, walls and other surfaces and perform demolition or removal of wet floors, rugs and walls as needed. Call SERVPRO of Marion/Middleborough at any time, day or night if you need assistance with sewage clean up.
Basement Flooding? Our Team Rises to The Occasion
Basement flooding can cause a major headache, especially if you use your basement as a storage area or an additional living space.
The first line of defense to protect your basement is to ensure that you’re completing preventative maintenance on your plumbing, heating, and sewage systems and on your hot water tank. Most often, we get calls for water in the basement due to a hot water heater burst.
There are three main reasons why your hot water heater burst:
- Sediment Build-Up – This can cause overheating and deterioration. Sediment build up can be prevented by flushing and draining the tank.
- Rust Corroding the Tank – Over time, water can cause your tank to rust. Your water heater comes with an internal anode rod, which should be replaced once every two years and at least annually when the warranty on the heater has expired.
- Too Much Internal Pressure – Pressure can build up in the tank when you set the water heater temp too high. Make sure you’re frequently testing your T&P valve at least twice a year to prevent accidents.
Overall, preventative maintenance can be the difference between a minor repair and a major disaster. In case of an emergency, SERVPRO of Marion / Middleborough is prepared to be faster to any size disaster.
Fire Damage, Meet Water Damage
Even after a minor fire, the cleanup process can be extensive. Where there’s fire damage, there is often water damage from rescue efforts. Soot and smoke might be the first thing you think about cleaning up, but first, we must address the water damage.
Much like your typical water damage situation, water damage caused by putting out a fire can have just the same or even a greater effect in your home since the cause was not localized. Much of this damage can be found in the drywall, flooring, ceilings, cabinets and even your personal belongings.
Mold can grow quickly – in as little as 24 hours. And where there is water, there is a potential for mold growth. SERVPRO of Marion/Middleborough can assist you from the start when it comes to fire restoration. First, our technicians will ensure that your home is secure. Windows and roofs can be boarded up to avoid further weather damage. Then, we begin the drying and cleanup process.
Our certified technicians can do it all. Some services include: placing drying equipment, the removal or demo of damaged drywall, flooring and cabinets and mold remediation. Our techs will clean your home from top to bottom. Soot and smoke can travel, so it’s recommended the entire home is professionally cleaned. And if your home requires a rebuild, we’re here for that, too!
After the remediation services on your home are complete, you can ask to be referred to our reconstruction manager who will work with you and your insurance company to begin the rebuild process.
SERVPRO of Marion/Middleborough is your one stop shop to make it “Like it never even happened”.
Summer Fire Safety
Are you keeping an eye out this summer on potential fires hazards? We're not just talking about the heat and humidity! Stay aware this summer with these fire safety tips that could make the difference between a summer blast, or a summer bust:
* Unless you're a pyrotechnical professional, leave the fireworks alone. Aside from being illegal in MA, they are extremely dangerous if not handled with great care. Be safe, if you want to see fireworks, go see a local show.
* Speaking of fireworks show -- keep a close eye on children at these public events.
* When it comes to grilling, propane and charcoal BBQ grills should be used outdoors only.
* Keep children and pets at least three feet from the grill area.
* Keep your grill clean by removing grease buildup.
* Never leave your grill unattended.
* Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
* Know to properly dispose of ashes from fire pits and grills in a metal can. Make sure the coals are not still burning!
For any questions on additional fire safety: call our office or your local fire department!
Weathering the Storm
As we approach the warmer weather there are different kinds of storms that we face. It's never too early to be prepared for such a storm. By following safety tips and precautions you can prevent being injured and prevent damages to your home and property.Should any of these storms occur and you've been affected as a result, We're here to help you in any event or circumstance. Don't go the battle alone, Let's weather the storm together. Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Marion / Middleborough.
Types of storms:
- Hail Storms. Many residents living in the U.S. have already experienced a severe hailstorm and witnessed the damage hail can cause to homes, automobiles, businesses and other property. ...
- Heavy Snow / Blizzards
- Derecho Storms
- Heavy rain
- Ice Storms
If caught outside, take shelter in a sturdy enclosed building or hard top automobile immediately.
- Avoid open areas,isolated objects, metal objects.
- Get out of boats and away from bodies of water.
- Remember, if you can hear thunder, you are close enough to the storm to be struck by lightning.
Take safe shelter immediately inside a sturdy building or basement away from windows, doors and electrical appliances.
- Inside tips on storm safety:
- Avoid using electrical equipment and telephones. Use battery operated devices instead, like flashlights.
- Close outside doors and windows and keep away from windows to avoid lightning strikes.
- Stay inside for 30 minutes after the last thunder has settled.
- Do not take a bath, shower or use plumbing until the storm has passed.
- Keep battery operated flashlights and lanterns ready to go.
- Have non -perishable foods, water and emergency supplies on hand in the event of power loss.
- If possible, have a charged cell phone available in the event of an emergency.
Stay away from windows, doors and electrical appliances.
We can weather the storm together! Call SERVPRO of Marion / Middleborough. We're Here to Help!
As Hurricane season soon approaches, it can pose a serious threat to both your life and property. These natural disasters can produce wind gusts ranging from 50 to 100 miles per hour or more. Thus causing power outages, down trees and power lines which can cause fires. A storm with that much power can cause catastrophic damage and severe flooding. Not only can flooding occur naturally but from an overwhelmed sump pump, sewer/septic overflow and high water table. Damages can be mild or severe. Weather can be unpredictable, so be prepared for the unpredictable. Thus, why it’s vital to have a hurricane safety plan in place for your home or business. Here’s some things you need to know about hurricane readiness. Below are safety tips for before and after a hurricane.
- Battery operated flashlights, lanterns and candles and a lighter
- Portable battery operated radio and extra batteries for all
- First Aid Kit
- Non perishable food items and water
- Non-electric can opener
- Essential medicines
- Natural gas: If you smell gas or hear a hissing or blowing sound, ventilate the area and leave immediately. Turn off the main gas valve from the outside, if you can. Do not smoke or use oil, gas lanterns, candles or torches for lighting inside a damaged facility until you are sure there is no leaking gas or other flammable materials present.
- Sparks, broken or frayed wires: Check the electrical system unless you are wet standing in water or unsure of your safety. If possible, turn off the electricity at the main fuse box or circuit breaker.
- Appliances: If appliances are wet, turn off the electricity at the main fuse box or circuit breaker. Unplug appliances and let them dry out. Water and sewage systems: If pipes are damaged, turn off the main water valve. Check with local authorities before using any water as the water could be contaminated.. Do not flush toilets until you know that sewage lines are intact.
- Have appliances, natural gas, plumbing and electrical checked by a service professional before using them again.
Although we never want a disaster to occur, We can weather the storm together! Call SERVPRO of Marion / Middleborough, we are Here to Help!
Duct, Duct, CLEAN!
Your office's airducts circulate all of the air throughout the day. This means clean air is healthy air! The air that circulates into your ducts is the same air that fills your home and is breathed in by you and your employeeseach day. We all know the importance of clean and filtered air. Cleaning your air ducts is an easy process, so let's not delay!Dust particles are cleaned away by powerful vacuums, ensuring they are not recirculating dirty air particles back into your home. They can be disinfected also if needed.
As the seasons change and you prepare for the colder/warmer months. It's time to schedule an air duct cleaning appointment. Ducts and heating systems become clogged with dust, filth, and other allergens over time. Cleaning your air ducts from time to time aids in the removal of contaminants that could be bothersome to you and your family, especially if you have breathing problems, asthma or allergies.Therefore your air ducts have an important role in keeping your air clean and healthy. They move air from your cooling and heating system in and out of each office, providing clean consistent inside air quality making your business spacemore comfortable and healthy.You can do this by removing the dust particles and pollutants from the ducts, cleaning supply and return air ducts, diffusers, and registers in each room.By doing annual duct cleanings you can prevent the following concerns in your office.
- Air ducts infested with insects
- Air quality in the home is improved.
- It helps to reduce allergy triggers.
- Costs of energy / Less expensive utility bills
For a free estimate on your cleaning your HVAC system, contact SERVPRO of Marion/Middleborough!
Weather or Not, Here We Are
It's that time of year where we re-discover just how strong the elements can be when the winds and rains beat against and around our homes. After a cold winter, it can be hard to come to terms with the ever changing New England springs and hurricane season. Wouldn’t it be ideal to pick out our weather for the day? What if we could always choose to have sunny weekends, rainy days only when we don’t need to go out, and snow just on Christmas Day.
In reality though, our weather forecast doesn’t check with our schedule and preferences when it decides to do what it does. This is especially true in cases of severe storm. Power outages, fallen electrical wires, and downed trees are common when the elements decide to come out in full force. Because storms are unpredictable, we don’t have ways to prevent the damage that follows. But "weather or not" our crew are always here.
The crews at SERVPRO of Marion/Middleborough are always “ready for whatever happens.” Whether it’s the small fire started by an electrical malfunction, or the water that started seeping through the cracks in the foundation, with the specialized training our technicians received, there is no damage that we are not well equipped to handle. Not only are we “Ready for whatever happens” but we’re also here to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Safety Tips for When You're All Up In Your Grill
As the summer months and the warmer weather hits, there’s nothing better than the smell of food on the grill.Enjoy a nice cookout, birthday party or family event with the taste of food off thegrill.We all love our deck & backyard entertaining, pool parties, family gatherings, kids and pets playing in the yard. There is truly nothing better for quality time and food with family and friends. Whether enjoying food, wine & spirits or just some relaxationtime, We just need to keep safety precautions in mind when enjoying outdoor grilling and barbecues.
Follow these safety tips below.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area
- Always keep your charcoal, smoker or gas grill 10' away from a structural setting (garage, shed, breezeway)
- Never grill under a porch, awning or covered structure
- Keep grill away from flammablematerials
- Keep 10' from railings, bushes,
- Always keep your grillclean from greaseor food build up
- Check hoses for leaks
- Keep the hood closed while grilling or lighting the grill
- Never leave a grill unattended
- Oil and saucethe food not the grate
We never want a fire disaster to occur, but in the event a fireshould occur we're here to help! Contact the pros and let us help!